TITLE: Children’s Specialist (Bluefield Branch)
Under direct supervision of the Youth Services Coordinator, plans, develops, and implements a comprehensive program of children’s and young adult services in a library branch.
Examples of Work (illustrative only)
• Plans, designs, and delivers programming for children and young adults, including the annual Summer Reading Program.
• Distributes publicity for youth services and programs.
• Reads book reviews and recommends library materials for purchase.
• Evaluates and weeds youth collections in consultation with Youth Services Coordinator.
• Plans and prepares bulletin boards, displays, and exhibits.
• Assists the public with information needs.
• Instructs the public in the use of the public catalog and other library resources.
• Provides readers advisory service.
• Recommends topics for reading lists and bibliographies.
• Plans and conducts library tours.
• Cooperates with the schools to promote reading and library services.
• Presents training in use of library resources to school groups.
• Delivers information to parent and caregiver groups.
• Monitors maintenance of electronic resources, including equipment, used in the youth services department.
• Compiles and maintains accurate records of circulation and program attendance data; analyzes and interprets data. Prepares monthly and annual written reports.
• Assists with circulation desk duties.
• Attends library staff meetings.
• Keeps informed of current trends and developments affecting libraries; attends workshops, seminars, conferences; reads professional literature.
• Performs other duties as required.
Requires sitting, standing, walking, climbing, stooping, bending/twisting, and reaching; talking and hearing clearly, including use of telephone; lifting and carrying 25 pounds or less; pushing and pulling objects weighing 50 to 80 pounds on wheels; fingering for typing, writing, filing, sorting, and shelving; vision to see all levels of shelving and to see while typing or using computer; mobility to travel to meetings outside the library.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge of the principles, materials, and practices of library science, including, but not limited to, those of children’s and young adult services.
• Strong knowledge of books, authors, resources, and materials relating to children’s and young adult services.
• Ability to plan and organize work effectively.
• Ability to instruct and train the public in use of library resources.
• Ability to interpret library resources and services to the general public.
• Skill in the use of computers and new technologies.
• Considerable ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, including application of correct grammar, spelling, punctuation, and arithmetic.
• Ability to exercise initiative, tact, leadership, and independent judgment.
• Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
• Ability to establish and maintain a cooperative working relationship with the supervisor, other employees, and the public.
• Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with schools, clubs, community and other groups.
Position requires working some evening and weekend hours.
Position requires driving to branches, meetings.
Minimum Education and Experience
Graduation from a four-year college or university, and two to three years’ previous experience with children’s and young adult services preferred; or an equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
The statements in this job description are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbent(s) assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
How to Apply
Attn: Erica Hall
Tazewell County Public Library
129 Main Street
P.O. Box 929
Tazewell, VA 24651
There is no current timetable for when this position will be available at the Bluefield Branch.