Under general supervision of the Circulation Supervisor, performs a wide range of nonprofessional library work revolving around circulation of library materials, reader assistance, reference assistance, and maintenance of the collection.
Examples of Work (illustrative only)
- Charges and discharges library materials according to established policies and procedures.
- Registers patrons for library cards.
- Advises library patrons about the library, its services and resources.
- Instructs patrons in the use of the catalog and assists in locating materials.
- Refers requests for material not in the collection to the proper source.
- Collects and accounts for fines, photocopy fees, and other charges.
- Answers reference questions and provides readers’ advisory services within the limits of available resources; refers other queries to the proper source.
- Shelves materials and assists in shelf reading.
- Assists patrons with library equipment available for public use.
- Assists with designing, preparing, and installing displays.
- Performs related work as required.
Requires sitting, standing, walking, climbing, stooping, bending/twisting, and reaching; talking and hearing clearly, including use of the telephone; lifting and carrying 50 pounds or less; pushing and pulling objects weighing 50 to 60 pounds on wheels; fingering for typing, writing, filing and shelving; vision to see all levels of shelving and to see while typing or using computer; mobility to travel to meetings outside the library.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Good knowledge of general clerical methods and procedures.
- Ability to instruct others in the use of library facilities and services.
- Ability to become familiar with titles, content, classification system, and arrangement of materials.
- Working skill with computers, copiers, fax machines, and various other items of office and library equipment
- Knowledge of and interest in books and literature.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to communicate clearly, both orally and in writing.
- Good knowledge of correct grammar, spelling, punctuation and arithmetic.
- Ability to work effectively with the public; to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the supervisor and other employees.
- Requires working some evenings and weekends.
- Requires some travel to branch libraries.
Minimum Education and Experience
Two years of college and library experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Applications accepted until position filled.
TO APPLY: Send completed TCPL Employment Application form to Erica Hall, Director. Email: email@example.com or Mail: Tazewell County Public Library, P. O. Box 929, Tazewell, VA 24651.